Monday, April 13, 2009

Breadfruit


When I was young, I read a series of books from the Auberry library about two brothers who were always going off on adventures to exotic locations. It seemed like wherever they went, and whatever crazy antics they got up to, they were always able to sustain themselves by eating delicious breadfuit. I was intrigued. What is this 'breadfruit'? Is it a bread, or is it a fruit? Would I ever need to keep myself alive by eating breadfruit? (I certainly hoped so).
Last week at a fruit stand, I noticed they had breadfruit. When i asked how to cook it, the two men had a lengthy conversation in Spanish which resulted in a one-word instruction to me: "Boil."
So, in case you ever need it, here is my breadfruit recipe:

1 medium sized breadfruit
1/2 c. butter
salt
pepper
lemon juice
cumin

Remove green rind. The fruit has a spongy center and gets firmer towards the edge. Cut into cubes. I did not use the center part, but maybe you can. Boil for 10-12 minutes until cubes are the texture of a boiled potato. Melt butter in frying pan, and stir remaining ingredients into the butter. Add breadfruit cubes to butter mixture and saute on medium high until pieces are coated in spices and slightly crisped. Add more cumin and lemon than you originally thought. Serve to unsuspecting dinner guests.

3 comments:

Claire said...

so...is it delicious?

Carrie G said...

Actually, it was pretty good. It reminded me of sweet potatoes. The yellow ones, not the orange yam ones.

beth said...

NICE! what was the name of that series... those were awesome. and hey, there is a difference between yams and sweet potatoes? will somebody finally clear that up for me?